The building is several hundred years old and has likely traded as a licensed premises for all that time.
Originally, it was probably a coaching house with stabling and yards at the rear.
Documentation shows that during the second half of the 18th Century it was owned by Wild and Company Brewers of Estcourt Brewery. Paperwork dated 1897 refers to the “BRITISH LION INN” formerly Known as the “FLITCH OF BACON”.
After the sale of Wild and Company to Henry Wadsworth, the pub was sold to USHERS of TROWBRIDGE and then on to others before sale to the present owner Landlord in 1997, although he had been operating the pub since early 1992. Its remains the only privately owned, Landlord operated, public house in Devizes. A truly genuine FREEHOUSE.